4.14.2008

Why I love what I do

So I got off work a little early last Thursday so that I could go to the launch of TOON Books at Books of Wonder in Manhattan. And what a lovely party it was! Hors d'oeuvres, wine, books, fascinating people... Françoise Mouly, the editorial director of TOON Books, is every bit as elegant as you'd expect - I'm hoping she'll agree to trek out to Flushing to speak to all the children's librarians! - and I met several other interesting people who proved to be much better conversationalists than me! I know this will sound odd, but I'm completely relieved that I didn't have the opportunity to meet Art Spiegelman - as someone who turns into such a geek when meeting brilliant people, I have no doubt that I would have been incoherent at the crucial moment. Heck, I'm relieved that I kept it together while talking to Ms. Mouly!

The good news is that I saw colleagues there who didn't mind that I was all geeky: Betsy Bird and her husband (who actually knows a lot about children's literature!), Michelle of the CBC, and Colleen of Roaring Brook Press. Here's a photo, courtesy of Kyo Morishima, of all of us hobnobbing (I'm in the red):
I think this picture was taken toward the beginning because I remember it being considerably packed later on. More so than it already was in this picture.

Yep, my job doesn't suck. Thanks to TOON Books for the lovely shindig!

No comments: