9.14.2008

OT: My friend is fighting cancer with Merlot!


This isn't too much off-topic, as my friend Daphne informed me that she just drank her third glass of Merlot and she was snacking on a pear and gorgonzola salad.  So my girl knows how to eat and drink, certainly.

But Daphne is also battling breast cancer.  At 35 years old.  With a 7-year-old daughter.  I'm telling you now, though, that you won't find a woman with a better attitude.  She has taken this challenge, run with it, and kicked its ass.  Masectomy?  No worries - Daphne is hopped up on getting a new and improved set of breastages.  She has handled this with grace, wit, and fire.  Daphne has shown me - and so many others - how to smile in the face of crappy circumstances, how to rise above adversity and come out stronger on the other side, and how laughter can cure so many doubts and fears.  She's also shown me that this can happen to me, at 33 years old, or my mother, or my sisters...  

Daphne is participating in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Phoenix, Arizona.  Better still, she's walking with her daughter.  Wanna hear more?  The date of the race is the one-year anniversary of Daphne's breast cancer diagnosis.  If you're in Phoenix, I certainly hope you're taking part in the walk/race.  If not, then the next best thing would be to sponsor someone.  Go to the website, and click on "Sponsor Participant".  Type in "Daphne Gill-Barber" and/or her daughter's name, "Jenna Barber."  Donate whatever amount you're able to - anything helps!

Daphne, you're beautiful!  Thank you for agreeing to let me post this and making me laugh so much...when it should be the other way around!

Eat, drink, and kick cancer's ass!

1 comment:

Anali said...

I signed up to walk with Daphne - wish you could join us! She really has been an inspiration, as well as a wake-up call. Breast cancer can happen to any of us.

Let me second your plea though - please consider sponsoring Daphne and/or Jenna!