9.29.2008

Tender morsels

I work on a 24-hour-a-day clock (unfortunately) but the world around me seems to be going double-time today. Thus, I only have time for some happy linkage:
  • Check out Diablo Cody's "In Praise of Judy Blume" article in EW. As if we didn't already know how awesome she is (Diablo and Judy...)! Thanks to my Child_lit listserv for the link.
  • Deborah Wiles has a lovely account of Coleen Salley's funeral in New Orleans. What a fitting celebration for such a good-hearted, spunky woman! The world needs more people like Coleen. Thanks to Educating Alice for the info.
  • Dear god, Gwyneth Paltrow apparently is starting her own lifestyle website? To "nourish the inner aspect"? And she claims that her life is good because she is "not passive about it"? This comes second-hand from Thursday Night Smackdown - the website isn't up yet - but I'm already feeling all cringey about it. And I love Gwyneth. But this could be going too far. Especially with everything going on economically, socially, and politically. So not the time for self-promotion and flaunted privilege. If she starts a magazine, I'm losing ALL respect. (Here's more info from US Magazine. I felt betrayed reading this because I do love her. But ugh.)
  • Alison at Shelf Talker has a spectacular rant about Urban Outfitters and their blatant sexism (my words, not Alison's) in the literary t-shirt department. Come on, UO! Get a friggin CLUE!
  • Last but not least, the real-life And Tango Makes Three penguins have broken up. Apparently Silo has left Roy for a female penguin...and Roy sits in a corner alone, staring at the wall. The best part is the end quote by one of the authors of the book: "We wrote the book to help parents teach children about same-sex parent families. It's no more an argument in favor of human gay relationships than it is a call for children to swallow their fish whole or sleep on rocks." Hee-hee! If only it were that easy, no?

Eat, drink, and celebrate banned books week!

UPDATE: Oh, you're all going to wish I had got my information right when you see this, but I did not. Gwyneth Paltrow's site is actually up and running. I present you with GOOP. Indeed...

4 comments:

Monica Edinger said...

And here I thought you were reviewing Margo Lanagan's new book!

Unknown said...

LOL! No, food. I'm always referring to food.

8-)

But that book is on my list - I keep reading that it is quite the trip!

Anonymous said...

laura- i sent you an email last week through your gmail. did you get it? not trying to be a stalker, just don't know how else to get in touch. email me if you didn't:
miller@bccls.org

annie

babs said...

Feel saddened about the penguins.

Feel happy about the Diablo Cody and Judy Blume bits. Though I knew about the book Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume in oh June. I get first dibs right. (Yeah, right.)

Am with the chica on the literary t-shirts being sexist.
I mean, look at the options of the women's shirts and the men's shirts. 'Cause obviously no man would ever read Willa Cather