11.19.2008

And, now, the more practical side of food...

Aside from its sensual pleasures, food keeps us healthy, too.

For most of my teenage and adult life, I have been hit by the flu at least once, if not twice, a year. However, in the past 3 years since I’ve been eating healthier and wiser, I have vastly improved my record. I haven’t had the flu at all, only minor colds and sniffles (though I did get strep throat, which the flu shot wouldn’t have prevented anyway because the flu shot doesn’t prevent 7-year-olds from bringing every imaginable disease home from school). Even when I am sick, I tend to get over it so much faster; rather than a week, the snifflies only last 2-3 days.

My point is that I attribute my improved health to my diet and I’m a big believer that, if you’re getting most of your vitamins and nutrition from your food, you can stay healthier naturally. Sustainable Table has some good specific suggestions, such as incorporating oregano into your diet for antioxidants. And I don’t need Sustainable Table to encourage me to eat more garlic – as it is, I already add an extra clove to most recipes I make! Luckily, as a perk, it keeps me healthy too!

Eat, drink, and do both to stay healthy this winter season!

No comments: