11.20.2008

National Book Award winner

As anyone involved in children's literature knows, last night the National Book Award was announced and What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell won. Congratulations!

I haven't read the book yet; as it stands, I have The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks in my book bag, and The Underneath is sitting at my desk, waiting for me. So it might be awhile before I get to What I Saw...

However, I do want to note how frustrated I get when I see the cover for What I Saw and How I Lied because it should have been the cover for Ten Cents a Dance:


The cover for Ten Cents a Dance just isn't as impactful as it could have been (which I discussed in my review), and this cover -


- is exactly what I wished for Ten Cents a Dance. Luckily, Christine Fletcher's excellent sense of time, place, and character rise above the less-than-stellar cover.

No comments: