3.16.2010

SLJ Battle of the Books: Family


I don't know if you're keeping up with it or not, but Nancy Farmer put the smack down on my girl Fire today.

First, and foremost, I have to remember this is all in good fun. It is. It is, it is, it is.

Second, Nancy Farmer might get some flak for this vote. Not because Fire lost but for her reasoning.

Lastly, as I mentioned, I don't envy the judge that had to make this decision. It was not going to go well either way, I think. And, for the record, I truly enjoyed Calpurnia Tate.

So I'll just hope that Fire comes alive in the Undead Poll and, if you didn't vote, shame on you. Shame, shame. Hasn't recent history shown us how important it is to VOTE?!

In honor of today's BotB smackdown, I give you this quote:

It always struck Fire, the physical affection between these siblings, who as often as not were at each other's throats over one thing or another. She liked the way the four of them shifted and changed shape, bumping and clanging against each other, sharpening each other's edges and then smoothing them down again, and somehow always finding the way to fit together.

Well, if that isn't a wonderful, loving, happy tribute to the true nature of families, I don't know what is.

I'm going to finish up some work while I remind myself that BotB is all fun and games, which is true. But make no mistake that I have some very strong thoughts on how this match was judged which I don't feel free to express. So I invite you to have at it in the comments or air your thoughts on your own blogs.

Game on!

2 comments:

LaurieA-B said...

Your posts about Fire have focused on the language. Farmer said very little about the language or even the writing; her judge's comments are almost entirely about content, discussing Fire, which is aggravating. Also, I do recall there being at least "one good friendship or love affair" in Fire.

I voted for Lips Touch in the Undead poll. It was so hard to choose!

Sondy at Sonderbooks said...

I voted for Fire, and am definitely hoping it shows up as the Undead pick. Did you notice that Nancy Farmer was the only one who didn't say lots and lots of nice things about the book she didn't pick? I was disappointed in that.

I'm enjoying your posts with Fire quotes so much. I read it once and loved it -- you're pointing out some of the reasons why.