4.04.2010

We've Got Company!

My parents are visiting from California this week. With the kids out of school, it's a great time for them to gallivant all over NYC with Bug (while Adam and I still work, alas).

Here's the thing, though: I have a difficult time cooking for my parents when they visit. My dad is diabetic...with high blood pressure...and he's usually trying to lose some weight. This will give you a mental image: he's an ex-football player for UCLA. Likewise, my mom is often off carbs and she really doesn't eat all that much anyway.

So I had to go with one my tried-and-true standbys: Ina Garten's Herb-Baked Eggs (this is a link to the recipe, which I follow to a T - why mess with genius?). I can make it on a weekday with no hassle, but there's still something elegant about the dish. With a green salad and some toasted bread, it's completely satisfying.

Here's the key, though: don't give away the secret! Don't go telling your dinner guests how easy it was, how it was no problem. Take credit, smile graciously, and thank them. Then raise your glass and tell them you love when they visit from California! They'll never be the wiser!

Eat, drink, and don't sweat it when houseguests come knocking!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Sounds delicious! I think I'll give this one a go this week, as well.