4.23.2012

California was great...

...but something in my DNA prevents me from enjoying it too much, now that it's over.  I'm all about Looking Ahead.  For better or for worse and, occasionally, to my detriment...

We are planning a European Vacation this August ("Holiday Road" playing in your head yet?  If so, we could be best friends), and I am in full-blown Planning Mode.  It'll be Dublin...then Zurich...then Hamburg.  Why those cities?  Well, they all have Goog offices there so Adam's going to put in a day of work in each city so that he can 1) check out their cool offices, 2) network, and 3) take a little less vacation time.  Meanwhile, Bug and I will get to goof around these cities like loons on loon tablets (again, if you get the reference, I love you).  My basic French ain't going to do me a damn bit of good so I'm learning some German (I can count to ten!  God, I have a long way to go...) and I'm talking more often to our doorman, Tommy, whose Irish accent is so thick that we spent the first six months in our building privately referring to him as "Mumbler."  Guys, this is going to be a good time.  And if you have any recs for any of these cities, pass 'em my way!

In the meantime, California...

As you'll recall, I wanted this trip BAD.  And minus the three days of rain, it didn't disappoint.  There was awesome food:


I felt nostalgic about Bug playing with the toys I owned as a kid:


Wine tasting at Boeger Winery (I bought a case of their 2009 Tempranillo):


Brilliant photos taken by Bug...but I'm biased... (all of which were taken on the gorgeous grounds of Boeger Winery):





Picnics:


Quality time spent with my mom (no disrespect to your moms, but this woman is the coolest):


And because I love this series so much, here's a Convertible Photo of my darling niece (here's the one of Bug):


There was even baking...which naturally wasn't done by me...this was all my sister's doing:


Add a shopping spree at a quiet, neat-as-a-pin Target and 11 a.m. Vinho Verde drinking in the hot tub with my mom...and you have an amazing trip!

The best part, though?  Coming home to New York City.  For the last couple months I've just been feeling a bit beat-up by the city, and living here was feeling increasingly claustrophobic.  This trip reminded me why I love California so much...and it also reminded me that NYC is my home.  I came back refreshed and renewed.  It's always hard to be away from family and friends on the other side of the country: always, always.  But I love it here in New York.  It did me a world of good to be reminded that it's not a choice of one over the other; I exist in both worlds, and I am from the West Coast as much as I am from the East Coast.  I love them both equally for different reasons, and I feel so lucky that I've had the opportunity to experience them both.

Eat, drink, and embrace where you are and where you've been.

2 comments:

carina said...

Yeah, it is a real trip! I just asked you on Pinterest whether it was real or imaginary:-) I've never been to Zurich. I've only been at the Central Station in Hamburg, so I'm not much help there. But I've been to Dublin and I love it! You must go on one of the literary pub crawls!

carina said...

Hi Laura. Remember the underwear from 'the steward' we couldn't figure out where came from?
Now look what I found!

http://www.figleaves.com/uk/product.asp?product=&product_ID=HT-B1-CUP

btw - this is possibly the weirdest blog comment I have ever written.